The older I get, the clearer some things become. I tried to accept some of these things along the way, some with enthusiasm, some begrudgingly, but they all make sense to me now. So think about embracing these traits in the coming year..
- Try not to over-react to ANYTHING. It’s so hard to do, but will make your life so much easier if you can. In most cases, your worrying doesn’t help anyway…
- Try to accept the changes around you. I started to realize what was going on many years ago, and now I just go with the flow. My memories will never go away, I will cherish them forever, but life goes on… and change is but one of life’s mysteries we must learn to accept.
- Give yourself a break… if not every day, at least once a week. If you’re doing the best you can – THAT’S ALL YOU CAN DO! You may have to face some disappointments, but all you can do is try a bit harder… please accept the fact that as humans – we all have limitations.
- CHOOSE to be happy. It won’t take much soul searching to realize that health, love and helping others when you can will get you through even the darkest days…
- Accept your kids for who they are… they certainly won’t admit it, and you won’t realize it for awhile, but they truly do carry a LOT of your traits, habits and thought processes. Encourage and challenge them, reign in the terror when you can, but don’t try to change them…
- Today’s world is as uncertain as I can remember. But I have never been more certain that all of you are blessed with the tools to succeed… in this or ANY economy… do NOT second guess yourselves…
I leave you with a list I cut out of a magazine well over 30 years ago and I’ve kept in my wallet ever since… I hope you will see that I’ve tried to embrace these in my life and hope you will think about them as well….
10 Things to Remember
The value of time
The success of perserverance
The pleasure of working
The dignity of simplicity
The worth of character
The power of kindness
The obligation of duty
The influence of example
The wisdom of economy
The virtue of patience
As you all know, I am NOT a religious man… but I already know that my destiny has been fulfilled. I will live on for generations long after I’ve left this world. I am in your hearts and through your guidance and love, in the hearts of your children. You often tease me about how hard it is to get me presents. It is NOT hard at all… I get those presents EVERY DAY, as your lives unfold…
Have a great year!
With much love,